    SubjectRe: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flash IDE chip under 2.6.18
    Lennart Sorensen wrote:
    > On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:25:00PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >> Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
    >> not using combined mode.
    > I would have thought 'sata 3.0 + IDE' sounded a lot like combined mode,
    > unless it means seperate sata and ide.

    Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.

    (I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and
    confusing these days)

    >> Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.
    >> Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
    >> interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
    >> native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.
    > I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
    > chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
    > and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
    > would install.

    Um, ok?

    We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware
    before Windows does. This is nothing new.

      Last update: 2007-01-10 16:57    [W:0.021 / U:0.040 seconds]