SubjectRe: SATA/IDE Dual Mode w/Intel 945 Chipset or HOW TO LIQUIFY a flash IDE chip under 2.6.18
Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 07:25:00PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Combined mode is a technical term. Judging from your answers, you are
>> not using combined mode.
>
> I would have thought 'sata 3.0 + IDE' sounded a lot like combined mode,
> unless it means seperate sata and ide.

Enhanced mode means separate SATA and PATA.

(I recommend avoiding the "IDE" acronym, it is largely meaningless and
confusing these days)

>> Judging from your answers, you are not in AHCI mode.
>>
>> Side note: You should use AHCI if available. Emulating a PATA
>> interface for SATA devices is error prone [in the silicon]. AHCI is
>> native SATA, "enhanced mode" is not.
>
> I tried setting my sister's new machine to AHCI mode (Asus P5B with 965
> chipset), but I eventually gave up since it also needed windows xp on it
> and I can't for the life of me find an AHCI driver for windows that
> would install.

Um, ok?

We're talking about Linux here. Linux regularly supports hardware
before Windows does. This is nothing new.

Jeff

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans