    SubjectRe: O_DIRECT question

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, Aubrey wrote:
    > Now, my question is, is there a existing way to mount a filesystem
    > with O_DIRECT flag? so that I don't need to change anything in my
    > system. If there is no option so far, What is the right way to achieve
    > my purpose?

    The right way to do it is to just not use O_DIRECT.

    The whole notion of "direct IO" is totally braindamaged. Just say no.

    This is your brain: O
    This is your brain on O_DIRECT: .

    Any questions?

    I should have fought back harder. There really is no valid reason for EVER
    using O_DIRECT. You need a buffer whatever IO you do, and it might as well
    be the page cache. There are better ways to control the page cache than
    play games and think that a page cache isn't necessary.

    So don't use O_DIRECT. Use things like madvise() and posix_fadvise()

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.021 / U:99.136 seconds]