SubjectRe: Naughty ramdrives
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:20:37PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:08:53 +0400
> Alexey Dobriyan <adobriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > So I assume udev is still madly crunching on its message backlog while
> > > this is happening?
> > >
> > > If so, ug.
> >
> > OK. I'll let it stabilize, sorry.
>
> You shouldn't have to.

You shouldn't have to what? You purposefully add and remove a block
driver as fast as is possible, creating a ton of new events and you
expect userspace processing of those events to be able to keep up in
real-time with it?

On the later versions of udev we are _way_ faster, we only listen to the
netlink socket, no extra programs are spawned, but still, we can only
work so fast :)

My machine had no interactive response issues while this was happening,
even with both processors being run at 100% cpu usage until I stoped the
loop and then udev recovered a few seconds later. This is even with
HALD recieving all of these events from udev, remember it's not just
udev in the event processing chain.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2006-09-08 01:05    [W:0.035 / U:0.116 seconds]