    SubjectRe: patch to make Linux capabilities into something useful (v 0.3.1)
    David Madore <david.madore@ens.fr> writes:

    > Hi.
    >
    > As we all know, capabilities under Linux are currently crippled to the
    > point of being useless. Attached is a patch (against 2.6.18-rc6)
    > which attempts to make them work in a reasonably useful way and at the
    > same time not break anything. On top of the "additional" capabilities
    > that lead up to root, it also adds "regular" capabilities which all
    > processes have by default and which can be removed from specifically
    > untrusted programs.

    Just a minor comment, can you break out the OPEN into at least
    OPEN_R, OPEN_NONFILE_W and OPEN_W (possibly OPEN_A, but I don't want
    that personally).
    The case I'm thinking about are network daemons that need to
    open+write to the syslog socket but only have read access elsewhere.

    Also there is much more than just bind9 using capabilities, the
    obvious ones that come to mind are NOATIME and AUDIT.

    --
    James Antill -- james@and.org
    http://www.and.org/and-httpd