    SubjectRe: [BUG] no sound on ppc mac mini
    At Tue, 05 Sep 2006 18:08:44 -0700,
    john stultz wrote:

    > On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 10:50 +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > > > However... ;)
    > > >
    > > > It seems the new device doesn't have any volume control. I know the old
    > > > toonie driver used some form of softvol support, but "it just worked",
    > > > where as now I have no control over my system's audio volume.
    > >
    > > It's a userland problem :) Your alsa config needs to enable the softvol
    > > plugin for it.
    >
    > Yea. I figured. :( I've played around a bit w/ the .asoundrc file to
    > re-enable softvol (A similar hack was needed originally after the toonie
    > driver went in), but so far I've been unsuccessful.

    I guess adding the following to /usr/share/alsa/cards/aliases.conf
    (or equivalent path depending on your distro) should suffice:

    AppleOnbdAudio cards.PMacToonie

    > > > While not the most terrible of regressions, its a bit irritating (waking
    > > > to loud mail notifications, specifically :). Is this something that I
    > > > have to wait for an alsa userland update to fix, or is the new kernel
    > > > driver just not fully functional yet?
    > >
    > > Part of the problem is that you can't anymore identify the type of codec
    > > based on the card name thus Alsa old mecanism of having a specific
    > > toonie config file that includes softvol doesn't work any more. The
    > > trick was bad in the first place though because you can have multiple
    > > different codecs anyway, so it didn't scale. (The old driver couldn't
    > > deal with it, but the new one can, though we haven't yet implemented
    > > support for any of the topaz digital codecs).
    > >
    > > I remember a discussion with the Alsa folks where it was question to
    > > have Alsa userland automatically instanciate softvol if there is no
    > > volume provided by the driver, which is a better approach.
    > >
    > > Takashi, was this ever implemented ? John, what is your Alsa userland
    > > version ?
    >
    > 1.0.10-4ubuntu4

    Could you try alsa-lib 1.0.12? Then you'll have more bonus, not only
    the fixes for this softvol problem ;)

    Takashi

      Last update: 2006-09-06 14:17    [W:0.027 / U:0.112 seconds]