    SubjectRe: pci error recovery procedure
    On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 02:50, Linas Vepstas wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:03:12PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
    > >
    > > > As you know, all functions of a device share the same bus number and 5 bit dev number.
    > > > They just have different 3 bit function number. We could deduce if functions are in the same
    > > > device (slot).
    > >
    > > Until you have a P2P bridge ...
    >
    > And this is not theoretical: for example, the matrox graphics cards:
    >
    > 0000:c8:01.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge (non-transparent mode) (rev 13)
    > 0000:c9:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 85)
    >
    > Now, I could have sworn there was another device behind this bridge,
    > some serial or joystick controller or something, although this
    > particular card doesn't seem to have it.
    Thanks. My comments above in this email is just to try to find a method
    to judge if 2 or more functions belongs to the same device. If it's
    not right, it still doesn't hurt the new API pci_error_handlers.

    > ------
    > It's not clear to me what hardware may show up in the future.
    > For example, someone may build a 32x PCI-E card that will act
    > as a bridge to a drawer with half-a-dozen ordinary PCI-X slots
    > in it. This is perhaps a bit hypothetical, but changing the API
    > will make it harder to implement eror recovery for such a system.
    I agree that it's difficult to predict the future. At least the new API
    could process the example.

    > FWIW, there is at least one pSeries system in the lab which has
    > several hundred PCI slots attached to it, although I've never
    > done testing on it. Hmm. Maybe its time I did ...
    >
    > --linas

      Last update: 2006-09-06 03:39    [W:3.069 / U:0.216 seconds]