SubjectRe: PATA drivers queued for 2.6.19
Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Llu, 2006-09-04 am 07:01 -0400, ysgrifennodd Jeff Garzik:
>> The following must be in all caps, though:
>>
>> drivers/ide IS STILL THE PATA DRIVER SET THAT USERS AND DISTROS SHOULD
>> CHOOSE.
>
> Except optionally for the following for chips not handled by or broken
> totally in drivers/ide:
>
> pata_mpiix - some early pentium era laptops
> pata_oldpiix - original "PIIX" chipset
> pata_radisys - embedded chipset
>
> The other apparently "libata only" chips are pata_jmicron and
> pata_optidma. There are patches to handle these as "generic" PCI IDE in
> the base 2.6.18 tree already so only features will be lost (eg mode
> switching). As Jeff implies distributions should be using drivers/ide
> for the Jmicron PATA and the Opti DMA PATA for now.
>
>> * /dev/sdX supports fewer partitions than /dev/hdX (16 versus 64, IIRC)
>>
>> * /dev/sdX does not support all the HDIO_xxx ioctls that /dev/hdX does.
>> In practice, the ioctls we ignored are ones that very few people care
>> about.
>
> Add "/dev/sr*" does not support partitions. (That needs fixing anyway)
>
>> * ARM, PPC and other non-x86 platform drivers are severely
>> under-represented.
>
> libata needs changes for this too. I have some stuff saved from the
> older discussions to look at.
>
>> As an aside, I would love to see paride updated to use libata, but we
>> can probably count the number of paride users on one hand these days...
>
> and thats without using fingers or thumbs.

I still use that interface, although I can't say it's critical if I
can't upgrade at some point. There are some other users in the local UG,
but they are probably not ever going to upgrade.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a