    SubjectRe: PATA drivers queued for 2.6.19
    Alan Cox wrote:
    > Ar Llu, 2006-09-04 am 07:01 -0400, ysgrifennodd Jeff Garzik:
    >> The following must be in all caps, though:
    >>
    >> drivers/ide IS STILL THE PATA DRIVER SET THAT USERS AND DISTROS SHOULD
    >> CHOOSE.
    >
    > Except optionally for the following for chips not handled by or broken
    > totally in drivers/ide:
    >
    > pata_mpiix - some early pentium era laptops
    > pata_oldpiix - original "PIIX" chipset
    > pata_radisys - embedded chipset
    >
    > The other apparently "libata only" chips are pata_jmicron and
    > pata_optidma. There are patches to handle these as "generic" PCI IDE in
    > the base 2.6.18 tree already so only features will be lost (eg mode
    > switching). As Jeff implies distributions should be using drivers/ide
    > for the Jmicron PATA and the Opti DMA PATA for now.
    >
    >> * /dev/sdX supports fewer partitions than /dev/hdX (16 versus 64, IIRC)
    >>
    >> * /dev/sdX does not support all the HDIO_xxx ioctls that /dev/hdX does.
    >> In practice, the ioctls we ignored are ones that very few people care
    >> about.
    >
    > Add "/dev/sr*" does not support partitions. (That needs fixing anyway)
    >
    >> * ARM, PPC and other non-x86 platform drivers are severely
    >> under-represented.
    >
    > libata needs changes for this too. I have some stuff saved from the
    > older discussions to look at.
    >
    >> As an aside, I would love to see paride updated to use libata, but we
    >> can probably count the number of paride users on one hand these days...
    >
    > and thats without using fingers or thumbs.

    I still use that interface, although I can't say it's critical if I
    can't upgrade at some point. There are some other users in the local UG,
    but they are probably not ever going to upgrade.

    --
    Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a