    SubjectRe: pci error recovery procedure
    From
    On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 07:03:12PM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

    > > As you know, all functions of a device share the same bus number and 5 bit dev number.
    > > They just have different 3 bit function number. We could deduce if functions are in the same
    > > device (slot).
    >
    > Until you have a P2P bridge ...

    And this is not theoretical: for example, the matrox graphics cards:

    0000:c8:01.0 PCI bridge: Hint Corp HB6 Universal PCI-PCI bridge (non-transparent mode) (rev 13)
    0000:c9:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400 AGP (rev 85)

    Now, I could have sworn there was another device behind this bridge,
    some serial or joystick controller or something, although this
    particular card doesn't seem to have it.

    ------
    It's not clear to me what hardware may show up in the future.
    For example, someone may build a 32x PCI-E card that will act
    as a bridge to a drawer with half-a-dozen ordinary PCI-X slots
    in it. This is perhaps a bit hypothetical, but changing the API
    will make it harder to implement eror recovery for such a system.

    FWIW, there is at least one pSeries system in the lab which has
    several hundred PCI slots attached to it, although I've never
    done testing on it. Hmm. Maybe its time I did ...

    --linas

      Last update: 2006-09-05 20:53    [W:0.024 / U:30.384 seconds]