    SubjectRe: Raid 0 Swap?

    >> I thought kernel data weren't swapped at all?

    If the swap code was swapped, who would swap it in again?

    >Well, it's not that simple. Kernel uses both swappable and
    >non-swappable memory internally. For some things, it's
    >unswappable, for some, it's swappable. In general, it's
    >impossible to say which parts of kernel will break (and
    >in wich ways) if swap goes havoc.

    In general, everything you type in as C code (.bss, .data, .text) should be
    unswappable. kmalloc()ed areas are resident too, and kmalloc has a
    parameter which defines whether the allocation can/cannot push userspace
    pages into the swap (GFP_ATOMIC/GFP_IO). So if there is some
    kernel-allocation swapped out, it is most likely to be marked as
    'userspace' so that the same algorithms can be used for swapin and -out.

    Jan Engelhardt

    VGER BF report: H 5.48632e-07