    SubjectRe: GPLv3 Position Statement
        Hi Lennart :)

    * Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> dixit:
    > I wonder if perhaps the solution should be that the GPLv3 draft
    > should be renamed to something else to allow RMS to create his new
    > license that does exactly what he wants it to do, without hijacking
    > existing GPLv2 code using a license that in many people's opinion
    > is NOT in the spirit of the GPLv2 (which it could be argued
    > overrides the "or later" part of the license).

    That's quite curious, because my wife (who doesn't have a great
    software background and that knows FOSS and GPL through me) said
    exactly the same when I told her yesterday the problem that people
    like me, who has released code under GPLv2, may face if GPLv3 is
    applied retroactively to every software that says "or any later
    version". She said that of course anybody has the right of making new
    licenses, but that, as far as she could tell, the new license
    shouldn't be named "GPL" because it was very different from what we
    now call "GPL". Of course her vision may be highly biased by what I
    told her, but since I still don't have a clear position about all
    this GPLv2 vs. GPLv3 issue, I don't think that the bias is so high.

    Probably the renaming is just common sense and will avoid ALL
    problems. People like me are concerned only because all GPLv2 that
    doesn't state otherwise will be released automagically under GPLv3 as
    soon as the latest draft is made the official version. Otherwise, I
    wouldn't give a hump about any new license until I have the time to
    read it and see if I like it.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado