    SubjectRe: GPLv3 Position Statement
    On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:37:37PM -0500, Chase Venters wrote:
    > I think one thing that should have happened a _lot_ sooner is that you and
    > others should have made clear to the startled community that you object
    > precisely to the anti-Tivoization clause, not because of any technical
    > reason or interpretation but because you don't see anything wrong with
    > Tivo's use of Linux. It would have been nice but totally optional to
    > engage in dialogue with the FSF. But slandering them about their license
    > development process, or their intentions with regard to using Linux as
    > leverage, is counterproductive whether true or not.

    This has been made clear to Eben and the FSF, for a long time. The
    FSF has simply chosen not to listen to Linus and other members of the
    kernel community. In fact, I've never seen any interest in a
    dialogue, just a pseudo-dialogue where "input is solicited", and then
    as near as far as I can tell, at least on the anti-Tivo issue, has
    been simply ignored. But in any case, it should not have come as a
    surprise and should not have startled anyone.

    Regards,

    - Ted

      Last update: 2006-09-28 01:01    [W:0.027 / U:89.404 seconds]