    SubjectRe: [BUG] Oops on boot (probably ACPI related)

    On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > >
    > > I expect this patch to fix it.
    >
    > Andrew, Kyle, can you verify?

    Not that it really matters. Andi sure as hell pinpointed a real problem
    with the new and broken inline asm. That's almost certainly the bug that
    crept in during the recent rewrite.

    HOWEVER, now that I look more closely at the rewrite, I'm really wondering
    whether the rewrite was worth it at all. It generates smaller code, but at
    the expense of

    - the actual cache-footprint is bigger
    - the branch will now be mis-predicted by default

    Since the "smaller code" really only tends to matter from a cache
    usage standpoint, I don't know if I'm at all convinced.

    The fact that rewinders have problems is fairly immaterial. Maybe we
    should just take this as a hint that all the stupid rewinding code was
    wrong in the first place, and we should stop doing that? We can go back
    to just printing out our stacktrace guesses, that has worked for us for a
    long time, and the stack unwinding simply looks _fundamentally_ flawed.

    So I have a real urge to just revert that change anyway.

    Are there any _real_ advantages to this broken unwinding code that has had
    more bugs that Windows XP?

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.022 / U:1.968 seconds]