SubjectRe: drivers/char/random.c exported interfaces
On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:38:56PM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> > Under what circumstances is it desirable to allow INPUT=m ?
> > I'm having a hard time thinking of a usage scenario where it makes sense.
> Not normally, no. But for example NSLU2 has a beeper and I believe it
> is the only user of input core there. If you were doing a distribution
> for such device you might want to build both input core and speaker
> driver as modules and let user decide if he wants to thoad them or
> not.

Wow. That's a ton of code to be pulling in just to enable a beeper.
I wonder how many lines a non-input-layer variant of pcspkr.c would be.
It always seemed odd to me that a beeper is an input device anyway.

> Does it being a module hurt anything?

Addition of two more exports for an arguably questionable purpose.