    SubjectRe: drivers/char/random.c exported interfaces
    On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:38:56PM -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

    > > Under what circumstances is it desirable to allow INPUT=m ?
    > > I'm having a hard time thinking of a usage scenario where it makes sense.
    > Not normally, no. But for example NSLU2 has a beeper and I believe it
    > is the only user of input core there. If you were doing a distribution
    > for such device you might want to build both input core and speaker
    > driver as modules and let user decide if he wants to thoad them or
    > not.

    Wow. That's a ton of code to be pulling in just to enable a beeper.
    I wonder how many lines a non-input-layer variant of pcspkr.c would be.
    It always seemed odd to me that a beeper is an input device anyway.

    > Does it being a module hurt anything?

    Addition of two more exports for an arguably questionable purpose.

      Last update: 2006-09-21 21:53    [W:0.020 / U:159.316 seconds]