SubjectRe: 2.6.19 -mm merge plans
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> One of the things that I think the current model has excelled at is how it
> really changed peoples behaviour, simply because they knew and understood
> the rules.
>
> I think the "big merges in the first two weeks, and a -rc1 after, and no
> new code after that" rule has been working because it brought everybody in
> on the same page.

I definitely agree with all that.

I simply argue that, the more time that passes between releases, the
MORE BUGS that appear in the next release.

After -rc1, you reach a point of diminishing returns where users don't
re-test Release Candidates, developers move on to new code rather than
fix bugs, and we all move into a limbo where 2.6.X-rcY doesn't see much
activity, but the huge "merge snowball" in -mm builds and builds and builds.

As an aside, if a release is getting held up by some key bugs or
regressions, I think it's more than fair for Andrew to loudly shame said
developers into action. "The following nincompoops are holding up the
release: Jeff Garzik [bug #1222, #3391], Greg KH [bug #9987, #4418], ..."

Jeff

  Last update: 2006-09-21 20:37    [W:0.353 / U:0.020 seconds]