    SubjectRe: 2.6.19 -mm merge plans

    On Sep 21 2006 08:25, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > - 2.6.<odd> is "the big initial merges with all the obvious fixes to make
    > it all work" (ie roughly the current -rc2 or perhaps -rc3).
    >
    > - 2.6.<even> is "no big merges, just careful fixes" (ie the current "real
    > release")

    That sounds interesting. To me this looks like a careful approach at
    more or less marking a release "this contains new stuff" and "this does
    not", like 2.<odd>.x and 2.<even>.x, respectively, but of course without
    the code divergence that happened between 2.4 and 2.5.

    Will there be a -stable branch for 2.6.<odd>s, or will they be limited
    to 2.6.<even>, just like there is no -stable for -rcs?

    >Each would be ~3 weeks, leaving us with effectively the same real release
    >schedule, just a naming change.

    More or less, yes. Let's assume a "good release" (one with a fair number
    of -rcs), and compare both approches (hope your MUA does tabs=8):

    Week/Current Current style Week/Proposal Your proposal
    +0 2.6.18 +0 2.6.18
    +2 2.6.19-rc1 - none
    +3 2.6.19-rc2 +3 2.6.19
    +4 2.6.19-rc3 - none
    +5 2.6.19 +6 2.6.20
    +7 2.6.20-rc1 - none
    +8 2.6.20-rc2 +9 2.6.21
    +9 2.6.20-rc3 - none
    +10 2.6.21 +12 2.6.22
    (+1 between each -rc is purely assumptional)

    Though this is a purely dry mathematical table. We did not always stick
    to a "-rc3 at most" rule, but gone up to like -rc7 recently. With the
    new versioning scheme, no such thing seems likely to be happening
    (excluding of course external influences like people travelling).
    IOW, the schedule gets more organized. I like that idea.

    (Based upon the assumption that 1 week passes between each -rc
    release, there would, with the new proposal, 'only' be 243 weeks to hit
    2.6.99 instead of 405. That is, version numbers go up faster :)

    Jan Engelhardt