    SubjectRe: ZONE_DMA
    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

    > Having something that's used in generic code that means random
    > things on different arches just seems like a recipe for disaster
    > to me.

    ZONE_DMA is only used as ZONE_NORMAL if the architecture does not
    need ZONE_NORMAL because all of memory is reachable via DMA.

    > OK ... but requesting ZONE_DMA means what? DMAable for which device?
    > Is it always a floppy disk? on some platforms a PCI card? And how
    > is the VM meant to know what the device is capable of anyway?

    I already explained that twice to you. I think we all agree that the
    situation could be better.

    > Having an arch-specific definition of the limit is arbitrary and
    > useless, is it not? The limit is imposed by the device and its
    > driver, we're not communicating it into any sensible way into the
    > VM code, AFAICS. Unless we're pretending we never call it from
    > generic code, which seems woefully unlikely to me.

    Its bad but its not useless. See how various arches use it.

    > Are we redefining ZONE_DMA to always be 16MB limit across all
    > architectures? At least that'd be consistent.

    That wont work because many architectures use different limits. Maybe you
    should once in a while have a look at the sources.

    The patchset leaves the semantics of ZONE_DMA as memory beyond
    MAX_DMA_ADDRESS as is. Nothing should break. It only allows us to opt out
    of this scheme if we do not need it.

      Last update: 2006-09-21 03:13    [W:0.021 / U:89.888 seconds]