    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction
    On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:49 -0700, Paul Jackson wrote:

    I concur with most of the comments (except as noted below)
    > Paul M wrote:
    > > Even if the resource control portions aren't totally compatible,
    > > having two separate process container abstractions in the kernel is
    > > sub-optimal
    >
    > At heart, CKRM (ne Resource Groups) are (well, have been until now)
    > different than cpusets.
    >
    > Cpusets answers the question 'where', and Resource Groups 'how much'.
    >
    > The fundamental motivation behind cpusets was to be able to enforce
    > job isolation. A job can get dedicated use of specified resources,
    > -even- if it means those resources are severely underutilized by that
    > job.
    >
    > The fundamental motivation (Chandra or others correct me if I'm wrong)
    > of Resource Groups is to improve capacity utilization while limiting
    > starvation due to greedy, competing users for the same resources.
    >
    > Cpusets seeks maximum isolation. Resource Groups seeks maximum
    > capacity utilization while preserving guaranteed levels of quality
    > of service.
    >
    > Cpusets are that wall between you and the neighbor you might not
    > trust. Resource groups are a large family of modest wealth sitting
    > down to share a meal.

    I am thinking hard about how to bring guarantee into this picture :).

    > It seems that cpusets can mimic memory resource groups. I don't

    I am little confused w.r.t how cpuset can mimic memory resource groups.
    How can cpuset provide support for over commit.