    SubjectRe: Flushing writes to PCI devices
    Alan Stern wrote:
    > I've heard that to insure proper synchronization it's necessary to flush
    > MMIO writes (writel, writew, writeb) to PCI devices by reading from the
    > same area. Is this equally true for I/O-space writes (inl, inw, inb)?
    > What about configuration space writes (pci_write_config_dword etc.)?

    Technically, according to the PCI specification, I/O space writes may be
    posted in the host bus bridge (though unlike MMIO space, not at any
    other PCI bridges) and would require a read in order to flush them.
    However, there seem to be few if any chipsets ever made which actually
    do this for I/O writes, and most code in the kernel seems to just assume
    it won't happen, so it's probably safe to assume the same.

    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from
    Home Page:

      Last update: 2006-09-21 01:27    [W:0.019 / U:2.740 seconds]