    SubjectRe: [patch02/05]: Containers(V2)- Generic Linux kernel changes
    On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:27 +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Rohit Seth <> writes:
    > > */
    > > +#ifdef CONFIG_CONTAINERS
    > > + struct container_struct *ctn; /* Pointer to container, may be NULL */
    > > +#endif
    > I still don't think it's a good idea to add a pointer to struct page for this.

    I thought last time you supported adding a pointer to struct page (when
    you mentioned next gen slab will also consume page->mapping). May be I
    missed your point.

    > This means any kernel that enables the config would need to carry this significant
    > overhead, no matter if containers are used to not.
    Sure this is non-zero overhead but I think this is the logical place to
    track the memory.

    > Better would be to store them in some other data structure that is only
    > allocated on demand or figure out a way to store them in the sometimes
    > not all used fields in struct page.

    which one...I think the fields in page structure are already getting
    doubly used.

    > BTW your patchkit seems to be also in wrong order in that when 02 is applied
    > it won't compile.

    Not sure if I understood that. I've myself tested these patches on
    2.6.18-rc6-mm2 kernel and they apply just fine. Are you just trying to
    apply 02....if so then that wouldn't suffice.

      Last update: 2006-09-20 18:49    [W:0.020 / U:56.004 seconds]