    SubjectRe: [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction
    On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 09:25:03AM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Sep 2006, Rohit Seth wrote:
    > > For example, a user can run a batch job like backup inside containers.
    > > This job if run unconstrained could step over most of the memory present
    > > in system thus impacting other workloads running on the system at that
    > > time. But when the same job is run inside containers then the backup
    > > job is run within container limits.
    > I just saw this for the first time since linux-mm was not cced. We have
    > discussed a similar mechanism on linux-mm.
    > We already have such a functionality in the kernel its called a cpuset. A
    > container could be created simply by creating a fake node that then
    > allows constraining applications to this node. We already track the
    > types of pages per node. The statistics you want are already existing.
    > See /proc/zoneinfo and /sys/devices/system/node/node*/*.
    > > We use the term container to indicate a structure against which we track
    > > and charge utilization of system resources like memory, tasks etc for a
    > > workload. Containers will allow system admins to customize the
    > > underlying platform for different applications based on their
    > > performance and HW resource utilization needs. Containers contain
    > > enough infrastructure to allow optimal resource utilization without
    > > bogging down rest of the kernel. A system admin should be able to
    > > create, manage and free containers easily.
    > Right thats what cpusets do and it has been working fine for years. Maybe
    > Paul can help you if you find anything missing in the existing means to
    > control resources.

    What I like about Rohit's patches is the page tracking stuff which
    seems quite simple but capable.

    I suspect cpusets don't quite provide enough features for non-exclusive
    use of memory (eg. page tracking for directed reclaim).

      Last update: 2006-09-20 18:47    [W:0.020 / U:1.132 seconds]