    Subjectsupport for limit of open file descriptors for a child process
    Hi,
    I came across a problem regarding the issue of number of open
    file descriptors.The scenario is as below.
    I have a controlling process which launches other different
    apllication including third party ones. It also enforces various
    resource limits including number of open file descriptors. This
    process forks & reads the resource limits from a configuration files,
    applies the resource limits & then execs for the corresponding
    application. The process has its own various number of open file
    descriptors. If the limit of open file descriptor for the child
    application is less than the number of file descriptors of the parent
    process, then the child application file can not be opened & exec
    fails in this case.

    I searched solution for this problem but could not find an existing
    way to solve it. I thought of couple of ways to do it. One idea is to
    create another flag for clone which makes it not to inherit the open
    file descriptors & use clone with that flag instead of fork .The other
    approach is to create a new system call & parent process can call that
    system call before calling the setrlimit.

    I am looking for your opinion about the better way . Further if it is helpful
    then I can submit the patch also.

    Thanks in advance
    regards
    Ram Gupta

      Last update: 2006-09-14 17:23    [W:0.091 / U:1.240 seconds]