    SubjectRe: What's in libata-dev.git

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Jens Axboe wrote:

    > So this is a confirmed, broken case? Why has no one complained for 2.4
    > and 2.6?

    Oh, I didn't even notice that we do that by default already. That's a bit
    scary - I remember people having their disks trashed.

    Maybe the broken disks are old enough to not be an issue any more, or
    maybe something else makes it effectively impossible to trigger in
    practice?

    You do need to get 32 pages of contiguous IO for it to happen, and while I
    don't see anything else that would limit it, maybe there is something that
    does? (Some other limiter like max_phys_segments might, but that
    particular one defaults to much more than 32)

    Of course, we do hopefully handle requests that fail a lot more
    gracefully these days, so if the drive says it didn't do it, maybe we just
    fix it up properly, in a way we didn't use to.. Ie we may have fixed the
    thing that caused corruption just by fixing something else ;)

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.037 / U:94.644 seconds]