    SubjectAnnouncing free software graphics drivers for Intel i965 chipset
    The Intel Open Source Technology Center graphics team is pleased to announce
    the immediate availability of free software drivers for the Intel® 965
    Express Chipset family graphics controller. These drivers include support
    for 2D and 3D graphics features for the newest generation Intel graphics
    architecture. The project Web site is http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org.

    This release represents the start of a long term effort by Intel to work
    with the X.org and Mesa communities to continuously improve and enhance
    the drivers. While these drivers represent significant work at both
    Tungsten Graphics and Intel, as our first release of this code, they're
    still in need of significant testing, tuning and bug fixing before
    they'll be ready for production use. We're releasing them now to
    demonstrate our ongoing commitment to providing free software drivers
    for Intel hardware.

    The Intel® 965 Express Chipset represents the first product family that
    implements fourth generation Intel graphics architecture. Designed to
    support advanced rendering features in modern graphics APIs, this chipset
    family includes support for programmable vertex, geometry, and fragment
    shaders. By open sourcing the drivers for this new technology, Intel enables
    the open source community to experiment, develop, and contribute to the
    continuing advancement of open source 3D graphics.

    We would like to especially thank our partners at Tungsten Graphics - Alan
    Hourihane and Keith Whitwell - for developing the new 3D driver and enhancing
    the 2D driver to support the new hardware.

    Intel has assembled a team within the Open Source Technology Center to
    manage Intel graphics driver development going forward:

    Development

    Eric Anholt <eric.anholt@intel.com>
    Guangdeng Liao <guangdeng.laio@intel.com>
    Keith Packard <keith.packard@intel.com>
    Zhenyu Wang <zhenyu.z.wang@intel.com>

    Testing

    Gordon Jin <gordon.jin@intel.com>
    Shuang He <shuang.he@intel.com>
    Wang Wei <wei.z.wang@intel.com>
    Weiliang Chong <weiliang.chong@intel.com>
    Wu Nian <nian.wu@intel.com>

    Following the release of this driver, future work will continue in the
    public X.org and Mesa project source code repositories. The project Web site,
    http://IntelLinuxGraphics.org, will serve as the central site for users of
    Intel graphics hardware in open source operating systems.

    --
    keith.packard@intel.com

      Last update: 2006-08-09 21:35    [W:0.021 / U:30.620 seconds]