SubjectRe: [Alsa-user] another in kernel alsa update that breaks backward compatibilty?
On 8/9/06, Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@list.ru> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:00:43 +0200
> Sam Ravnborg <sam@ravnborg.org> wrote:

> > > sorry for the noise, but it's been a while now since i began reading
> > > mails from this list, and i must admit i don't always (never?) see the
> > > point of such messages...
> > > if you can help me understand, i'll be very happy to get something more
> > > detailed from you...
> > Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt
> >
> > Sam
> >

> I love senselessness and technical incompetence of the document.
>
> As I was taught at school, to prove that a statement is wrong one
> has to prove that it is wrong once.

Yep, the only trick is that you need a valid proof ;)

> Regardless of what the document says stable ABI can be achieved
> today - run a chosen Linux kernel version + chosen ALSA version under XEN or
> similar, and assign sound card to these (chosen Linux kernel version +
> chosen ALSA version).
>
> Redirect sound ('ncat' + friends) to this (chosen Linux kernel version +
> chosen ALSA version) from your kernel in which developers refuse
> to ensure stable ABI.
>
> Because of the chosen (kernel+ALSA) you have stable ABI regardless
> of what Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt says and ALSA + kernel
> developers think.

You are confused. By your logic you do not need XEN at all - just take
a kernel version + alsa and never change/update it - and viola!
"stable" ABI.

--
Dmitry