SubjectRe: prevent swsusp with PAE
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:05:46 -0700
"Randy.Dunlap" <rdunlap@xenotime.net> wrote:

> > > I think what this really points at is a weakness in the menuconfig/xconfig/etc
> > > user interfaces. It should be possible to navigate to the presently-disabled
> > > config option and ask it "why can't I turn you on?".
> >
> > Yes, but I'll still have users asking me "why I can't turn it on" ;-).
>
> menuconfig and xconfig both have Help and Search that can aid
> with that, but I would still use the "comment" keyword also.

Help and Search options aren't much use if you cannot see the option and if
you do not know that it exists.

A better UI design would be to show the unselectable option in some
dimmed-out fashion and then provide an interface which permits the user to

a) query the item to find out why it's not selectable and

b) turn on the depends-on option(s) at the present site, thus making the
present item selectable (ie: not dimmed any more).

I dont't think any of that would require any Kconfig changes - it's purely
a UI thing?

  Last update: 2006-09-01 02:19    [W:0.045 / U:1.536 seconds]