SubjectRe: cpu_init is called during resume
Pavel Machek wrote:
> cpu_init() is called during resume, at time when GFP_KERNEL is not
> available. This silences warning, and adds few small cleanups.

I presume this is resume from disk. If you're doing resume from RAM,
all the CPU-related stuff should already be allocated, unless you're
bringing up a new CPU which wasn't previously there, right?

What's the call path for this on resume? In my i386-pda patches, I've
rearranged this so that the secondary CPU's GDT (and PDA) are
pre-allocated on the boot CPU. Does this help this case, or would they
still need to be atomic allocations?

And wouldn't making these allocations atomic make real CPU hotplug (ie,
on an active, running system) more likely to fail? This code doesn't
deal with allocation failure very elegantly.

  Last update: 2006-08-31 18:15    [W:0.296 / U:0.016 seconds]