    SubjectRe: [patch 2/8] Implement always-locked bit ops, for memory shared with an SMP hypervisor.
    On Thursday 03 August 2006 07:54, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > > > I still wonder why you are so focused on ifdefs. Why would we need those?
    > >
    > > Because the Xen drivers will run on a couple of architectures, including
    > > IA64 and PPC.
    > >
    > > If IA64 or PPC didn't implement at least wrappers for the sync ops
    > > then they would all need special ifdefs to handle this.
    > No they would just need to do an #include <xen-bitops.h>

    If IA64 and PPC64 wouldn't have xen-bitops.h (which you seem to argue
    for) then they would need ifdefs.

    > > But you would still need to add that to IA64, PPC etc. too, so it
    > > would only avoid adding a single to the other architectures.
    > Could we not just add one fallback definition to asm-generic?

    You mean into asm-generic/bitops.h? Then it would need ifdefs
    to handle the i386/x86-64 case.

      Last update: 2006-08-03 08:09    [W:0.021 / U:5.208 seconds]