    SubjectRe: Linux time code
    On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 23:28 -0400, wrote:
    > > With the new clocksource code, we can (currently just i386, but the
    > > architecture is generic and I'm working on the other arches) make use of
    > > continuous clocksources for accumulating time instead of having the deal
    > > with the problematic PIT (as well as the lost ticks issue).
    > If it's there, it's great, but what about i386EX embedded boards and
    > the like?

    The PIT clocksource is available for those situations, but is one of the
    lowest rated clocksources, so anything else will be used if its

    > It's approximately manageable on uniprocessor, but can
    > I be sure there's always something (what?) better than the PIT on
    > *every* SMP system?

    Yea. With the exception of NUMAQ almost every i386 SMP system either can
    use the TSC or has an alternative clocksource (acpi pm, hpet, cyclone).

    > I need to study what you've done and see how to use it.

    Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts about it.

      Last update: 2006-08-29 21:25    [W:0.021 / U:0.376 seconds]