SubjectRe: Linux time code
On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 23:28 -0400, wrote:
> > With the new clocksource code, we can (currently just i386, but the
> > architecture is generic and I'm working on the other arches) make use of
> > continuous clocksources for accumulating time instead of having the deal
> > with the problematic PIT (as well as the lost ticks issue).
> If it's there, it's great, but what about i386EX embedded boards and
> the like?

The PIT clocksource is available for those situations, but is one of the
lowest rated clocksources, so anything else will be used if its

> It's approximately manageable on uniprocessor, but can
> I be sure there's always something (what?) better than the PIT on
> *every* SMP system?

Yea. With the exception of NUMAQ almost every i386 SMP system either can
use the TSC or has an alternative clocksource (acpi pm, hpet, cyclone).

> I need to study what you've done and see how to use it.

Let me know if you have any questions or thoughts about it.

  Last update: 2006-08-29 21:25    [W:0.067 / U:17.400 seconds]