SubjectRe: Linux v2.6.18-rc5
On 28/08/06, Kasper Sandberg <lkml@metanurb.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 12:10 +0200, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> > On 28/08/06, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok,
> > > this was delayed three weeks due to a combination of vacations and a
> > > funeral in Finland, but Greg and Andrew kept on top of things, and we were
> > > fairly late in the release cycle anyway, so it hopefully caused no real
> > > problems apart from obviously delaying the final release a tiny bit.
> > >
> > > Linux 2.6.18-rc5 is out there now, both in git form and as patches and
> > > tar-balls (the latter which I forgot for -rc4, but Greg covered for me -
> > > blush).
> > >
> > > The shortlog (appended) tells the story: various fixes all around.
> > > Powerpc, V4L, networking, SCSI..
> > >
> > > Pls test it out, and please remind all the appropriate people about any
> > > regressions you find (including any found earlier if they haven't been
> > > addressed yet).
> > >
> > Not really a regression, more like a long standing bug, but XFS has
> > issues in 2.6.18-rc* (and earlier kernels, at least post 2.6.11).
> and you are saying this issue exists in all post .11 kernels?

No, I don't know that for sure. All I know is that 2.6.17.x (with x >=
7) falls over, 2.6.18-rc[34] falls over and there's nothing in
2.6.18-rc5 that looks like a fix but I've not tested that kernel yet
(but I have tested 2.6.18-rc4 + the xfs fix that went into -rc5 and
that one doesn't solve it).
2.6.11 is simply the kernel the server I can reproduce this on was
running previously, and that kernel is stable. It's a production
machine and it takes hours to hit the problem, so I can't very well do
a binary search of all kernels between 2.6.11 and 2.6.18-rc.

> > With heavy rsync load to a machine with XFS filesystems, XFS falls
> > over and filesystems are in need of xfs_repair.
> > I'm doing all I can to gather info for Nathan so he can fix the bug,
> > but it's hard to trigger reliably.
> could you please describe whatever you have found out, im eager to take
> a look at it myself

Take a look at the thread I mention, that should describe the problem
and what we have found out so far.
Here's a link to the start of the thread: http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/8/4/97

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@gmail.com>