SubjectRe: Unnecessary Relocation Hiding?
Sorry for perhaps extending the specific question to a more generic
one. In which cases shall we, in current or future development,
prevent gcc from knowing a pointer-addition in the way RELOC_HIDE? And
in what cases shall we just write pure C point addition?

After all, we are writing an OS in C not in pure assembly, so I am
just trying to learn some generial rules to mimize the raw assembly in
development.

Feng,Dong

2006/8/25, Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>:
> Christoph Lameter writes:
>
> No, RELOC_HIDE came from ppc originally. The reason for it is that
> gcc assumes that if you add something on to the address of a symbol,
> the resulting address is still inside the bounds of the symbol, and do
> optimizations based on that. The RELOC_HIDE macro is designed to
> prevent gcc knowing that the resulting pointer is obtained by adding
> an offset to the address of a symbol. As far as gcc knows, the
> resulting pointer could point to anything.
>
> It has nothing to do with linker relocations.
>
> Paul.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans