    SubjectRe: Adrian Bunk is now taking over the 2.6.16-stable branch
    On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 09:52:34PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > Greg didn't "elect" anyone, Adrian volunteered to maintain something
    > that had been dropped by the -stable developers and no one else was
    > going to maintain.

    Did you ever call for a maintainer list of volunteers?

    To me an official 2.6.16-stable in the hands of the only guy who
    proposed himself as maintainer, sounds worse than no stable tree at
    all. People won't know anymore if to run Greg's 2.6.18-stable or
    2.6.16-stable.

    If a 2.6-real-stable tree has to happen because 2.6-stable is not
    really stable/trustable enough, then give it up with your
    2.6.18-stable and start doing 2.7 and leave 2.6 in the hands of
    somebody else.

    An official kernel needs a critical mass to have a value, it's simply
    a wasted effort to open yet another official tree that will actually
    fragment the "production" userbase even more.

    If 2.6.18-stable is sustainable with the current model, with the
    distro folks being the only ones forking off a real-stable tree, then
    you should drop 2.6.16-stable. If instead it's 2.6.18-stable that is
    not good enough for production usage and people really needs
    2.6.16-stable, you should open 2.7, and not fragment the userbase like
    this.

    I think it would be great to have the users choosing their preferred
    maintainer to end the era of maintainers being decided by other
    maintainers like you actually did. A simple website on kernel.org can
    achieve it, where users can registers for voting and the maintainers
    willing to maintain 2.6-stable can registers themself too. That's at
    least less random than the current status if what you said above is
    true and if 2.6.16-stable is meant to reach any critical mass.

      Last update: 2006-08-21 00:33    [W:2.467 / U:0.000 seconds]