    SubjectRe: let md auto-detect 128+ raid members, fix potential race condition
    On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:32:33PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
    >Sure enough the LVM subsystem could make things better for one to not
    >need all of the PVs in the root-containing VG in order to be able to
    >mount root read-write, or at all, but if you think about it, if initrd
    it shouldn't need all of the PVs you just need all the pv where the
    rootfs is.

    >is set up such that you only bring up the devices that hold the actual
    >root device within the VG and then you change that, say by taking a
    >snapshot of root, moving it around, growing it, etc, you'd be better
    >off if you could still boot. So you do want all of the VG members to
    >be around, just in case.
    in this case just regenerate the initramfs after modifying the vg that
    contains root. I am fairly sure that kernel upgrades are far more
    frequent than the addirion of PVs to the root VG.

    >Yes, this is an argument against root on LVM, but there are arguments
    >*for* root on LVM as well, and there's no reason to not support both
    >behaviors equally well and let people figure out what works best for

    No, this is just an argument against misusing root on lvm.

    Luca Berra --
    Communication Media & Services S.r.l.
    / \

      Last update: 2006-08-02 08:51    [W:0.021 / U:0.456 seconds]