SubjectRe: let md auto-detect 128+ raid members, fix potential race condition
On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 06:32:33PM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>Sure enough the LVM subsystem could make things better for one to not
>need all of the PVs in the root-containing VG in order to be able to
>mount root read-write, or at all, but if you think about it, if initrd
it shouldn't need all of the PVs you just need all the pv where the
rootfs is.

>is set up such that you only bring up the devices that hold the actual
>root device within the VG and then you change that, say by taking a
>snapshot of root, moving it around, growing it, etc, you'd be better
>off if you could still boot. So you do want all of the VG members to
>be around, just in case.
in this case just regenerate the initramfs after modifying the vg that
contains root. I am fairly sure that kernel upgrades are far more
frequent than the addirion of PVs to the root VG.

>Yes, this is an argument against root on LVM, but there are arguments
>*for* root on LVM as well, and there's no reason to not support both
>behaviors equally well and let people figure out what works best for
>them.

No, this is just an argument against misusing root on lvm.

L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca@comedia.it
Communication Media & Services S.r.l.