    SubjectRe: PATCH: Multiprobe sanitizer
    Ar Iau, 2006-08-17 am 08:57 +0200, ysgrifennodd Benjamin Herrenschmidt:
    > In fact, I'm all about making the problem worse by agressively
    > paralellilizing everything to get distros config mecanisms to catch up
    > and stop using the interface name (or use ifrename).

    I'm so glad I don't have to depend on your code then because I have to
    actually deal with the real world not try to commit design suicide in
    pursuit in of elegance.

    There are numerous cases where bus stability happens to matter because
    you cannot identify the different devices. The disk and ethernet cases
    are relatively managable (disk has some distribution issues with fstab
    etc on older setups). Things get nasty when you look at say sound or

    A classic example would be a typical security system with four identical
    PCI video capture cards. There is no way other than PCI bus ordering to
    order them, and if you don't order them your system isn't useful as you
    do different processing on different camera streams.

    >From a performance perspective the only one we really care about is
    probably disks. Even there we need some kind of ordering (or ability to
    order) so that we can handle unlabelled (eg new) volumes and md

    Right now lvm/dm/md all depend on real disk names to be useful on large
    systems because the time to scan for labels is too high. On small
    systems some tools work ok although not all with labels.

    Disk has another awkward problem too - power control and management.

      Last update: 2006-08-17 10:23    [W:0.022 / U:130.748 seconds]