    SubjectHow to avoid serial port buffer overruns?
    (Please CC me when replying)

    While using Linux on low-end (semi-embedded) hardware (386 SX 40Mhz, 8Mb
    RAM), I discovered that Linux on that machine would suffer from serial
    port buffer overruns quite easily if I use a baudrate high enough (I start
    loosing bytes at >19200 bauds and I would like to make it reliable up to
    115 kbauds). I check if overruns are happening with
    /proc/tty/driver/serial ("oe" field).

    Back when I was using the 2.4 kernel, I reduced dramatically the frequency
    of overruns by using the "low latency" and "preemptible kernel" patch [1]. But
    it still happened sometimes at 115 kbauds if the system was a bit loaded
    (with disk I/O for example).

    Now I switched to stock 2.6 and while the stock kernel improved in
    responsiveness, it still isn't enough by default (even with
    CONFIG_PREEMPT=y and CONFIG_HZ=1000). So I wanted to try the "rt" patch of
    Ingo Molnar and Thomas Gleixner, but the patched kernel doesn't boot (see
    bug report in a separate mail on this list).

    Other things that I tried which didn't help (enough) are:

    - tuning with hdparm
    - make disk IRQ interruptible with hdparm -u 1 /dev/hda
    - activating DMA is suggested but my disk is a "disk on module"
    and doesn't support DMA
    - using irqtune ( to reprioritize
    irqtune is old and it's very difficult to know if it still works
    reliably with recent kernel and as there's no way to "read" the
    interrupt priorities, I have no way to know if irqtune changed anything
    at all...

    My questions are thus:
    1/ Is there a way to patch the kernel to make it handle serial IRQ as
    the highest priority? If yes, how? Where should I look at to create
    such a patch?
    2/ How can I identify why the serial interrupts are delayed? Or, in other
    words, how can I find the code blocking for too long the treatment of
    the serial IRQ?
    I suppose that network IRQ and disk IRQ are responsible for that but
    I'm not sure and furthermore disk interrupts are supposed to
    be interruptible given the hdparm config that I use.
    3/ What other suggestions do you have to avoid those serial buffer

    As usual, I'll gladly try out patches/ideas and will provide any
    required additional information that I didn't include in this mail.

    Some infos on the hardware:
    More detailed spec of the CPU are here:

    bash-2.05a# cat /proc/interrupts
    0: 88503366 XT-PIC timer
    2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
    3: 11 XT-PIC serial
    4: 12 XT-PIC serial
    5: 4958 XT-PIC NE2000
    14: 10771 XT-PIC ide0
    NMI: 0
    ERR: 0

    [1] I documented that in a blog post last year:
    Raphaël Hertzog

      Last update: 2006-08-16 12:49    [W:0.023 / U:12.912 seconds]