    SubjectSome issues about the kernel memory leak detector: __scan_block() function
    Hi Catalin,

    I have tested your latest kernel memory leak detector on my ARM device
    and for curiosity I have checked some part of your patch to figure out
    how the memory is scanned and compared to radix tree for detecting
    orphan pointer.

    Let's suppose the a kmalloc() was executed without storing the
    returned pointer to the memory area and its fictitious returned value
    would be the address 0xb7d73000 as:

    kmalloc(32, GFP_KERNEL); // Cause memory leak

    Is there any possibility the __scan_block() scans a memory block that
    contains the memory area allocated by the previous kmalloc?

    If this is possible, during the "for (ptr = start; ptr < end; ptr++)
    {} " loop in the __scan_block(), the ptr variable can assume the
    address 0xb7d73000 and the radix_tree_lookup() returns the
    corresponding memleak_pointer and thus such pointer to this memory
    area is not considered orphan (indeed it is an orphan pointer), right?

    Mauricio Lin.

      Last update: 2006-08-17 00:23    [W:0.025 / U:16.496 seconds]