    SubjectRe: Touchpad problems with latest kernels

    On 2006-08-14 13:58:09 Luke Sharkey wrote:
    > While on 2054 it generally works fine, On the latest kernels (2154,
    > 2174 etc.) I have only to e.g. open a konqueror window for the
    > onscreen pointer to start going funny, and jerking about (As happens on
    > computers with v. low RAM). I know its not a RAM problem, as a)
    > everything else works fine, there is no slow down of any of the
    > programs I run, only problems with the mouse and b) I have just
    > upgraded from 512 MB of RAM to 1 GB.
    > If I plug in a mouse, the pointer works fine. Though I would happily
    > use a mouse, this is often inconvenient on a laptop.
    > Do you have any ideas what's wrong?

    This is a known problem (and fixed in Windows) with the synaptics touch
    pad. About one year ago I did a web search amounting to something like
    "synaptics rubber band" and found a fixed windows driver. But since
    there is no OS of that kind on this machine, I contacted the developer
    of the synaptics X driver.

    We had a discussion (swedish only) in private mail, where I ran the
    driver in debug mode - he no longer had a machine with that hardware.
    Unfortunately I've lost the whole communication due to a voltage frying
    of everything in the mail machine, so can not give any details.

    If Peter Österlund still has the e-mails I hereby give full permission
    to disclose a translated copy to anyone interested.

    But I think it all came down to Peter not being able to do anything...
    In earlier kernels the issue _seemed_ to lessen if booting with
    i8042.nomux but nowadays that kernel option only gets rid of the 'lost
    sync' messages from the pad that turn up in /var/log/messages
    (Btw, excessive printing of that message Dmitry!)

    Mats Johannesson

      Last update: 2006-08-14 19:13    [W:0.019 / U:38.912 seconds]