SubjectRe: Touchpad problems with latest kernels

On 2006-08-14 13:58:09 Luke Sharkey wrote:
> While on 2054 it generally works fine, On the latest kernels (2154,
> 2174 etc.) I have only to e.g. open a konqueror window for the
> onscreen pointer to start going funny, and jerking about (As happens on
> computers with v. low RAM). I know its not a RAM problem, as a)
> everything else works fine, there is no slow down of any of the
> programs I run, only problems with the mouse and b) I have just
> upgraded from 512 MB of RAM to 1 GB.
>
> If I plug in a mouse, the pointer works fine. Though I would happily
> use a mouse, this is often inconvenient on a laptop.
>
> Do you have any ideas what's wrong?

This is a known problem (and fixed in Windows) with the synaptics touch
pad. About one year ago I did a web search amounting to something like
"synaptics rubber band" and found a fixed windows driver. But since
there is no OS of that kind on this machine, I contacted the developer
of the synaptics X driver.

We had a discussion (swedish only) in private mail, where I ran the
driver in debug mode - he no longer had a machine with that hardware.
Unfortunately I've lost the whole communication due to a voltage frying
of everything in the mail machine, so can not give any details.

If Peter Österlund still has the e-mails I hereby give full permission
to disclose a translated copy to anyone interested.

But I think it all came down to Peter not being able to do anything...
In earlier kernels the issue _seemed_ to lessen if booting with
i8042.nomux but nowadays that kernel option only gets rid of the 'lost
sync' messages from the pad that turn up in /var/log/messages
(Btw, excessive printing of that message Dmitry!)

Mvh
Mats Johannesson