    SubjectRe: Touchpad problems with latest kernels
    On 8/14/06, Andreas Mohr <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 10:38:04AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
    > > I don't *think* I'm a lunatic, but I'm equally sure that the synaptics is a
    > > pain in the ass and should be capable of being totally disabled somehow,
    > > hopefully short of opening the lappy up and unplugging or cutting every
    > > lead to it until such time as it can be made to behave instead of
    > > responding to every thumb waved 1/2 to 3/4" above it. I've gotten hand
    > > cramps trying to hold my thumbs far enough away from that abomination to
    > > stop such goings on.
    > >
    > > So count this as a vote FOR doing something about the synaptics touchpad
    > > situation.
    > I'm seeing issues as well on my Dell Inspiron 8000 (yes, it has a Synaptics,
    > NOT ALPS as usual on Inspiron):
    > (without a mouse plugged in) after random times the pointer exhibits
    > clear signs of craziness, moving on its own (mild issue) or jumping
    > uncontrollably (worse) or being completely off-screen most of the time
    > (worst).
    > IIRC (I'm quite sure about this) the very first time that I've seen
    > this phenomenon happen on my notebook was around 2.6.9,
    > and I attributed this to broken/grown-old hardware on my notebook
    > (thus from then on mostly running with external mouse attached),
    > but since several people now report very similar issues
    > one would think that it's a driver calibration or touchpad setup issue
    > instead of actually broken touchpad hardware.
    > Plus, I'm sometimes having issues with pointer movement (cursor won't advance
    > any more unless I stop touching the touchpad for a few seconds to let it
    > reset somehow - probably a bytestream hickup issue).
    > Any clues?

    Yes, you might want to reseat your touchpad connector and vacuum the
    case a bit. Inspiron 8000 is almost the same as 8100 and I am using it
    constantly ;) Well, I thought my keyboard broke because PgUp stopped
    working but it recovered after I got a hairball from under the key.
    Just make sure you do not pull ACPI battery info to often.

      Last update: 2006-08-14 17:43    [W:0.045 / U:4.524 seconds]