    SubjectRe: ext3 corruption
    On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 09:21:24PM +0200, Molle Bestefich wrote:
    > I'd love to help others with the same problem that I have. I know
    > basically nothing of e2fsck though, and I don't have time to research
    > and write a whole tutorial. Maybe there's a wiki somewhere where I
    > can start something out with a structure and some information
    > regarding the stuff I've seen?

    There isn't yet, but is supposed to be setting a wiki soon.
    So hopefully we can get a wiki started there.

    > >or willing to chip in to pay for a technical writer, let me know....
    > What kind of economic scale where you thinking about?

    Well, the Technical Advisory Board of the OSDL (James Bottomly is the
    chair, other folks include Greg K-H, Randy Dunlap, and others
    including myself) is trying to fund a technical writer, mostly for
    kernel documentation, as well as other kernel projects. OSDL is
    mainly set up to solicit monies from companies, but it might be
    possible to get something setup so we can accept donations from

    > >(This is open source, which means if people who have the bad manners
    > >to kvetch that volunteers have done all of this free work for them
    > >haven't done $FOO will be gently reminded that patches to implement
    > >$FOO are always welcome. :-)
    > OTOH, the open source community rigorously PR Linux as an alternative
    > to Windows.

    Some people do, but not all. It also depends on what usage model you
    are looking at. If it's kiosks or fixed-function Windows facilities
    (i.e., used by travel agengts, receptionists, cash registers), then
    Linux would certainly be ready now, and it's probably easier to use
    Linux than Windows for those scenarios. But for the "knowledge
    worker" who is a power Windows user who regular exchanges Microsoft
    Office files with others and who needs 100% Office compatibility? Not

    > While the above attitude is fine by me, you're going to have to expect
    > to see some sad faces from Windows users when they create a filesystem
    > on a loop device and don't realize that the loop driver destroys
    > journaling expectancies and results in all their photos and home
    > videos going down the drain, all because nobody implemented a simple
    > "warning!" message in the software.

    To be fair, there are plenty of other dangerous things that you can do
    with Windows that don't have warning messages pop-up. And using the
    loop driver is of a complexity which is higher than what you would
    expect of a typical Windows user. You might as well complain that
    Linux doesn't give a warning message when you run some command like
    "rm -rf /", or "dd if=/dev/null of=/dev/hda". I'm sure there are
    similar commands (probably involving regedit :-) that are just as
    dangerous from the Windows cmd.exe window.....

    - Ted

      Last update: 2006-08-14 17:39    [W:0.026 / U:33.548 seconds]