    SubjectRe: [Fastboot] [CFT] ELF Relocatable x86 and x86_64 bzImages
    On Sat, Aug 12, 2006 at 01:20:29AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

    > > I think I have found the 'something silly'. Here is a patch that allows
    > > our Dell em64t boxes to boot. This change matches the original code. The
    > > main difference that caused the problems was the setting of _PAGE_NX bit.
    > > This caused issues in early_io_remap().
    > >
    > > Thanks to Larry Woodman for debugging this.
    > This looks like a different one but looks fairly sane.
    > Do you know what code had problems having _PAGE_NX set.
    > What are we doing with early_ioremap the requires execute
    > permissions. It doesn't sound right that we would need
    > this.

    This fix is only needed for a subset of our em64t boxes, so it could be
    just a chipset problem. Supposedly, if I remember the conversation
    correctly, when the kernel first boots it reserves about 40MB and about 20
    pmds automatically. After decompression, early_io_remap tries to setup
    all the memory. The conflict arose when early_io_remap tried to reuse one
    of those pmds. This caused the system to crash and reboot.

    I'll try to get more info Monday on the specifics.

    > Eric

      Last update: 2006-08-12 17:27    [W:0.024 / U:51.748 seconds]