SubjectRe: [patch 6/6] Move per-device data out of backlight_properties
On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 01:03 -0400, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> plain text document attachment (backlight-move-data.patch)
> Backlight: move per-device data out of backlight_properties
>
> Data such as current brightness belongs to a device and should not
> be part of a structure shared between several devices.

I agree there's an issue to address here. Looking at this patch very
quickly, it breaks all the existing backlight drivers as they know about
the variables in struct backlight_properties and all their references
need to be updated e.g.: corgi_bl.c:

if (bd->props->power != FB_BLANK_UNBLANK)
intensity = 0;
if (bd->props->fb_blank != FB_BLANK_UNBLANK)
intensity = 0;

Thinking about this, ideally, struct backlight_properties would be left
containing the backlight properties in but become part of struct
backlight_device (and allocated with it). The drivers would provide a
new struct backlight_ops instead of the properties struct at present and
the function pointers would move to that structure.

Your other patches looked ok at a quick glance. I'll aim to test them
against the corgi driver over the weekend and I look at reworking this
one, unless you want beat me to it :)

Cheers,

Richard

  Last update: 2006-08-11 10:05    [W:0.065 / U:0.364 seconds]