SubjectRe: cpufreq stops working after a while
On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 04:39:19PM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
> Ahhh...
>
> >From the trace, I see a bunch of "userspace" lines appearing.
> And sure enough, something called "powernowd" is running,
> and probably conflicting with the "ondemand" governor.

It'll override it, you can't run both at the same time.
Well, unless you have a dual-core/multi-cpu system, where you
could have a different governor per-core. But that would be loony,
and we should probably disallow that possibility before someone
gets any bright ideas.

Looking at your log however, you only have a single CPU, so it'll
be using userspace exclusively.

> I'm nuking powernowd, and that'll probably cure it for this box.
> I guess the distro (kubuntu) must have started "powernowd"
> even though I told it (the distro) to use "ondemand".
>
> Does it make sense that this could change the upper limit, though?

A userspace governor can pretty much invent its own rules. I'm not
familiar with what constraints powernowd has. It may even have
limits defined in a config file someplace.

Is it behaving again with ondemand ?

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk