    SubjectRe: [RFC] Simple Slab: A slab allocator with minimal meta information

    On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:52:00 -0700 (PDT)
    Christoph Lameter <> wrote:

    > struct page overloading:
    > - _mapcout => Used to count the objects in use in a slab
    > - mapping => Reference to the slab structure
    > - index => Pointer to the first free element in a slab
    > - lru => Used for list management.
    it seems it's time that the page struct should have more unions ;)

    > There is no freelist for slabs. slabs are immediately returned to the page
    > allocator. The page allocator has its own per cpu page queues that should provide
    > enough caching.

    I think that the advantage of Slab allocator is
    - object is already initizalized at setup, so you don't have to initialize it again at
    - object is initialized only once when slab is created.

    If a slab page is returned to page allocator ASAP, # of object initilization may

      Last update: 2006-08-10 07:05    [W:0.041 / U:208.064 seconds]