SubjectRe: Urgent help needed on an NFS question, please help!!!
On Thu, 2006-08-10 at 13:08 -0400, Xin Zhao wrote:
> Well. For regular NFS, because it needs to consider interoperability,
> it cannot use file handle as an opaque object.
>
> However, in our case, we essentially derived a VM based data sharing
> infrastructure from NFS. This would allow multiple virtual machines in
> a single server to share data efficiently. With some tricks, we are
> able to export inode cache from server to client. Also, we modify the
> file handle composer to carry the server-side inode address, inode
> number, i_gen, dev along with a file handle. Upon receiving a file
> handle, a client can directly access the inode object in the exported
> inode cache and bypass the inter-VM communication.

The correct way to do this sort of thing is to use pNFS, which has
protocol support for this sort of thing, and is part of the draft NFSv4
minor version 1 specification. See

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nfsv4-minorversion1-04.txt

Cheers,
Trond

  Last update: 2006-08-10 19:41    [W:0.042 / U:0.032 seconds]