SubjectRe: Merging libata PATA support into the base kernel
On Thu, Aug 10 2006, Alan Cox wrote:
> Ar Iau, 2006-08-10 am 14:20 +0200, ysgrifennodd Jens Axboe:
> > You make it sound much worse than it is. Apart for HPA, I'm not aware of
> > any setups that require extra treatment. And the amount of reported bugs
> > against it are pretty close to zero :-)
>
> There are several variants where you get

Not very vocal users then, or I missed them.

> - hangs on resume
> - HPA mishandling
> - CRC errors and usually eventually a hang

HPA mishandling is a given, I agree that is a nasty problem and really
should be fixed. hangs on resume - the hardware, or the kernel talking
to it? crc errors sounds like bad transfer tuning after resume, but that
should be pretty identical to the on-boot one.

The low level drivers/ide drivers aren't well geared for suspend/resume,
perhaps that is what is causing most of these issues (apart from hpa).

--
Jens Axboe