    SubjectRe: metadata plugins (was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion)
    Hello

    On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:32 +0200, Łukasz Mierzwa wrote:
    > Dnia Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:33:56 +0200, Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org>
    > napisał:
    >
    > > In other words, if a filesystem wants to do something fancy, it needs to
    > > do so WITH THE VFS LAYER, not as some plugin architecture of its own. We
    > > already have exactly the plugin interface we need, and it literally _is_
    > > the VFS interfaces - you can plug in your own filesystems with
    > > "register_filesystem()", which in turn indirectly allows you to plug in
    > > your per-file and per-directory operations for things like lookup etc.

    > What fancy (beside cryptocompress) does reiser4 do now?

    it is supposed to provide an ability to easy modify filesystem behaviour
    in various aspects without breaking compatibility.

    > Can someone point me to a list of things that are required by kernel
    > mainteiners to merge reiser4 into vanilla?

    list of features reiser4 does not have now:
    O_DIRECT support - we are working on it now
    various block size support
    quota support
    xattrs and acls

    list of warnings about reiser4 code:
    I think that last big list of useful comments (from Christoph Hellwig
    <hch@infradead.org>) is addressed. Well, except for one minor (I
    believe) place in file release.

    Currently, Andrew is trying to find some time to review reiser4 code.

    > I feel like I'm getting lost with current reiser4 status and things that
    > are need to be done.
    >
    > Łukasz Mierzwa

      Last update: 2006-08-01 19:01    [W:4.025 / U:0.924 seconds]