SubjectRe: metadata plugins (was Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by regarding reiser4 inclusion)

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:32 +0200, Łukasz Mierzwa wrote:
> Dnia Fri, 28 Jul 2006 18:33:56 +0200, Linus Torvalds <>
> napisał:
> > In other words, if a filesystem wants to do something fancy, it needs to
> > do so WITH THE VFS LAYER, not as some plugin architecture of its own. We
> > already have exactly the plugin interface we need, and it literally _is_
> > the VFS interfaces - you can plug in your own filesystems with
> > "register_filesystem()", which in turn indirectly allows you to plug in
> > your per-file and per-directory operations for things like lookup etc.

> What fancy (beside cryptocompress) does reiser4 do now?

it is supposed to provide an ability to easy modify filesystem behaviour
in various aspects without breaking compatibility.

> Can someone point me to a list of things that are required by kernel
> mainteiners to merge reiser4 into vanilla?

list of features reiser4 does not have now:
O_DIRECT support - we are working on it now
various block size support
quota support
xattrs and acls

list of warnings about reiser4 code:
I think that last big list of useful comments (from Christoph Hellwig
<>) is addressed. Well, except for one minor (I
believe) place in file release.

Currently, Andrew is trying to find some time to review reiser4 code.

> I feel like I'm getting lost with current reiser4 status and things that
> are need to be done.
> Łukasz Mierzwa

  Last update: 2006-08-01 19:01    [W:0.302 / U:33.408 seconds]