Subject[HW_RNG] How to use generic rng in kernel space

I developped a HW RNG for a custom board and several
other drivers are using it through a special entry I made.
I was planning to move the code in order to use the generic
the RNG layer but I encounter an issue.

Currently it seems not possible for a driver to use HW RNG,
because there's no entry point for that. Is that something
deliberate ?

Another question about the implementation. If O_NONBLOCK
flag is passed when opening /dev/hw_random, how does the
read method ensure that the caller won't sleep since it calls
mutex_lock_interruptible() function unconditiannaly ? I must
miss something but don't know what...