    SubjectRe: reiser4: maybe just fix bugs?
    Hello

    On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 20:18 -0600, Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:

    > >The writeout code is ugly, although that's largely due to a mismatch between
    > >what reiser4 wants to do and what the VFS/MM expects it to do.

    Yes. reiser4 writeouts atoms. Most of pages get into atoms via
    sys_write. But pages dirtied via shared mapping do not. They get into
    atoms in reiser4's writepages address space operation. That is why
    reiser4_sync_inodes has two steps: on first one it calls
    generic_sync_sb_inodes to call writepages for dirty inodes to capture
    pages dirtied via shared mapping into atoms. Second step flushes atoms.

    > I agree --- both with it being ugly, and that being part of why.
    >
    > > If it
    > >works, we can live with it, although perhaps the VFS could be made smarter.
    > >

    > I would be curious regarding any ideas on that. Next time I read
    > through that code, I will keep in mind that you are open to making VFS
    > changes if it improves things, and I will try to get clever somehow and
    > send it by you. Our squalloc code though is I must say the most
    > complicated and ugliest piece of code I ever worked on for which every
    > cumulative ugliness had a substantive performance advantage requiring us
    > to keep it. If you spare yourself from reading that, it is
    > understandable to do so.
    >
    > >I'd say that resier4's major problem is the lack of xattrs, acls and
    > >direct-io. That's likely to significantly limit its vendor uptake.

    xattrs is really a problem.

      Last update: 2006-08-01 13:41    [W:0.052 / U:63.568 seconds]