    SubjectRe: Commenting out out_of_memory() function in __alloc_pages()
    Abu M. Muttalib wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I am getting the Out of memory.
    > To circumvent the problem, I have commented the call to "out_of_memory(),
    > and replaced "goto restart" with "goto nopage".
    > At "nopage:" lable I have added a call to "schedule()" and then "return
    > NULL" after "schedule()".

    Bad idea - in the configuration you have, the system may need the
    out-of-memory killer to free up memory, otherwise the system can
    deadlock due to all memory being exhausted.

    > I tried the modified kernel with a test application, the test application is
    > mallocing memory in a loop. Unlike as expected the process gets killed. On
    > second run of the same application I am getting the page allocation failure
    > as expected but subsequently the system hangs.
    > I am attaching the test application and the log herewith.
    > I am getting this exception with kernel 2.6.13. With kernel
    > 2.4.19-rmka7-pxa1 there was no problem.
    > Why its so? What can I do to alleviate the OOM problem?

    Please see Documentation/vm/overcommit-accounting in the kernel source tree.

    Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    To email, remove "nospam" from
    Home Page:

      Last update: 2006-07-08 20:09    [W:0.023 / U:87.340 seconds]