    SubjectRe: [Suspend2-devel] Re: uswsusp history lesson
    On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 06:47:26PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > On Sat, 2006-07-08 at 18:43 +0200, Olivier Galibert wrote:
    > > On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 12:41:58PM +0200, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
    > > > Very often, choice is good. but for something this fundamental, it is
    > > > not. We also don't have 2 scsi layers for example.
    > >
    > > We have 2 ide layers, 2 usb-storage drivers, 2 sound systems and we
    > > have had 2 pcmcia subsystems and 2 usb subsystems.
    >
    > well not sure about all of them... but it sucks.

    - drivers/ide vs. Alan's libata work
    - usb-storage vs. ub
    - oss vs. alsa

    And for the old ones:
    - pcmcia-cs vs. Linus' yenta code
    - the old usb stuff vs. Linus' rewrite

    And I've forgottem v4l1 vs. v4l2 too.

    > Just take the alsa/OSS case. It's taken Adrian Bunk a LOT of effort to
    > get people to report bugs against alsa; unless you threaten to remove
    > the other driver they just won't and switch to the other driver.

    You're forgetting some inconvenient facts about alsa though:

    - at least for a long while, they didn't care about compatibility
    between versions

    - the interface is atrocious (shared library several orders of
    magnitude more complex than necessary, because KISS is not cool
    enough)

    - the oss interface compatiblity has always been and still is
    considered a second class citizen

    If the gpl-ification of the full OSS system had happened much earlier,
    ALSA would have been crushed under its own weight by now.

    OG.

      Last update: 2006-07-08 19:51    [W:3.985 / U:0.140 seconds]