    SubjectRe: Suspend to RAM regression tracked down
    On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 08:48:49AM +1000, Jean-Marc Valin wrote:

    > > > OK, I tried the patch with 2.6.17 and it didn't work. My laptop failed
    > > > to resume on the first try, so it must be something else. Could someone
    > > > actually have a look at the changes in 2.6.12-rc5-git6 (which happen to
    > > > be cpufreq-related)? I spend months pinpointing the problem to that
    > > > version (it's takes several days to reproduce). I'd appreciate if
    > > > someone could at least have a look at what changed there and maybe fix
    > > > it.
    > >
    > > Can you show /proc/cpuinfo for the affected system ?
    > > If it's 15/3/4 or 15/4/1, that would explain why this kernel,
    > > as this was when support for those models got introduced to
    > > speedstep-centrino.
    >
    > Not sure what's the 15/..., but here's the content:

    it was the family, of which yours is 6, so this isn't it.
    which means it must be ..

    > > If it's not that, there is a pretty large delta in the ondemand
    > > governor in this update, but I don't see anything blindlingly
    > > obvious from looking over it.
    >
    > Well, is there some way of doing a bisection over these changes? As far
    > as I know, the problem probably affects all Dell D600 owners, probably
    > others.

    If you're prepared to play around with 'git bisect' a little, it shouldn't
    take that many iterations, as you've already narrowed it down quite a lot.

    $ git bisect start drivers/cpufreq/cpufreq_ondemand.c
    $ git bisect bad
    $ git bisect good v2.6.12-rc5

    should get you most of the way there.

    http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html